ITIL 4 Foundation Certification is a certification in IT Service Management that is known all over the world. ITIL, which stands for “Information Technology Infrastructure Library,” is a set of rules for IT Service Management (ITSM). The ITIL 4 Foundation Certification covers the most important parts of ITIL 4, such as the four dimensions of service management, the service value system, and ITIL’s guiding principles.
The certification is for IT workers, business managers, and anyone else who wants to learn about best practices for IT Service Management. It is an entry-level certification that doesn’t need to meet any specific requirements before you can get it.
To get the ITIL 4 Foundation Certification, candidates must pass a multiple-choice exam that covers the main ideas of ITIL 4. The test has 40 questions, and candidates must get 26 of them right in order to pass. The test can be taken in person at a training center that has been approved or online through a service called “remote proctoring.”
If you have an ITIL 4 Foundation Certification, it shows that you know a lot about IT Service Management and the ITIL 4 framework. It can also help you move up in your IT Service Management career or a related field.
4 ways to get an ITIL certification
ITIL 4 has three ways to get certified and two modules that add on. With ITIL certification, you show that you know how ITSM affects business strategy and how services are provided.
Foundation ITIL 4
This first step of ITIL certification helps people understand key ideas about IT and digital service delivery. This stage:
- Looks at how modern IT and digital service companies run.
- Describes how to speed up and improve the value stream.
- tries to figure out what role cultural or behavioral norms play.
- Describes the most common service management terms and ideas
Building on the foundational certification, this stream goes deeper into practical and technical knowledge to help managing professionals:
- IT-enabled services must be made, delivered, and supported.
- Drive stakeholder value
- Help IT move quickly.
- IT-enabled workflows and teams need to be led, planned and made better.
Strategic Leader of ITIL
This certification goes beyond the MP certification and helps you think more strategically. This certification has two parts that prepare the IT administrator to play a bigger role in influencing and leading strategy:
- ITIL 4 Strategist: Lead, Plan, and Get Better
- ITIL 4 Digital and IT Strategy for Leaders
ITIL extension modules
There are also two specialized ITIL 4 certifications that you can get. These courses focus on new technologies and don’t require any prerequisites. You can use them to learn more about ITIL principles and maybe even find new job opportunities:
- Sustainability in Digital and IT: Focuses on understanding and managing how digital and IT services affect the environment.
- Acquiring and Managing Cloud Services: Examines cloud technology and how it can be used in business strategy.
How to get an ITIL certificate
Getting ITIL certification can help you stand out from other IT professionals. To get the benefits of ITIL certification, you’ll have to study the modules and take a test to see how well you understand them.
Training: ITIL training courses are offered in a number of ways by organizations that have been approved to do so.
This means that you can take ITIL certification courses online in a collaborative virtual learning environment, in person, or by studying on your own.
Getting the tests
- To get your Foundation certification, you’ll have to pass a 40-question, 60-minute, multiple-choice test that you can’t look at your notes during. With a score of 26 out of 40, you’ve done well enough to pass.
- You can move on to the Managing Professional certification after you pass the Foundation certification. You have to pass exams for four modules. For each module, you must get 28 out of 40 multiple-choice questions right on the 90-minute, closed-book exams:
- Create, Deliver, and Support: This module is about making services, and on the 90-minute test, you have to get 28 of the 40 multiple-choice questions right.
- Drive Stakeholder Value: ITIL 4 Specialist: This module teaches you how to work well with people who have a stake in the project.
- High-speed IT: ITIL 4 Specialist This module is all about the skills you need to work with digital products and services or in environments with a lot of automation.
- Direct, Plan, and Improve: ITIL 4 Strategist This module teaches you how to work with teams and improve your organization’s strategies.
If you pass the Foundation exam, you can also get the ITIL Strategic Leader certification. It means that you have to pass both the ITIL 4 Strategist Direct, Plan, and Improve module and the ITIL 4 Leader Digital and IT Strategy module. The second one teaches leaders how to create digital strategies for their whole organization. To get it, they have to answer 21 of 30 multiple-choice questions correctly on a 60-minute closed-book exam.
Anyone can take the two extension modules, but you have to pass timed, multiple-choice tests to do so.
How to Take the ITIL® 4 Foundation Exam
ITIL 4 Foundation is the latest version in the evolution of ITIL, which was upgraded in 2019. ITIL V4 is made to help IT administrators figure out how to deal with the Fourth Industrial Revolution and give them advice on how to manage IT in a service economy. The certification exam also checks how well you understand ITIL in general. So, are you thinking about how ITIL 4 Foundation certification could change your career? But first, you should know how the ITIL 4 Foundation Certification Exam Format works. It is a complete guide to the format of the ITIL 4 Foundation exam that will help you understand all the important details.
Who should take the exam to get certified in ITIL 4 Foundation?
ITIL 4 Foundation training course in India can help people in the following jobs, but not only:
- People who work in IT
- ITSM Managers
- People who work in the IT industry (Digital, Product, Development)
- Managers of Service
- Administrators of databases
- People who work in software
- Owners of the Service Process
- People who are just starting out in Service Management
- Those who already have an ITIL qualification
The ITIL 4 certification is helpful for many candidates, including:
- First, candidates who don’t know much about the ITIL framework. Second, candidates who want to know how ITIL can be used to make IT service management better.
- Also, IT professionals or other people who work for a company that has adopted ITIL.
- How to Take the ITIL 4 Foundation Exam
- Type of test: Multiple-choice, closed book
- The number of questions is 40.
- Time of Exam: 60 Minutes
- 26 out of 40 is good enough to pass (65 percent pass mark)
- The English language
Note: You don’t need to have done anything before taking the ITIL 4 Foundation exam.
AXELOS is in charge of making, improving, and spreading a number of best practice frameworks and methods. These are used by experts all over the world, mostly in IT service management, project, program, portfolio management, and cyber resilience. Also, they offer a lot of help for the exam, such as books, sample exams, and apps for the exam. The UK Cabinet Office and Capita PLC came up with Axelos in 2013 as a joint project to manage, develop, and grow the Global Best Practice Portfolio.
Tips for the Exam in General
- You won’t get in trouble if you give the wrong answer. If you can’t think of an answer, choose one to give yourself a chance.
- Don’t try to be perfect. You either pass or fail the test. There are no extra points if you answer more than 26 questions correctly.
- Use these tips to check your answers before turning in your exam:
- Read each question carefully to make sure you didn’t make any mistakes.
- Count how many of your answers were right. If you have more than 26, turn in the test. If you’re a cautious person, don’t submit the exam until you’ve gotten more than 28 questions.
Hope this article helps you in your journey to becoming an ITIL 4 certified professional. To start preparing for the exam with practice tests and valuable feedback and to get on-point tutorials and live sessions from experts, click on the ITIL 4 Foundation certification exam link provided in the introduction.