The United States has long been a land of opportunity and a popular destination for individuals seeking a better life, often driven by the pursuit of love and family. If you’re a foreign national who has married a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident, you should contact lawyer for marriage based for all the details. Engaging the services of an experienced immigration attorney is strongly recommended to guide you through this intricate process. This comprehensive guide will also walk you through the step-by-step process to help you achieve your dream of building a life together in the United States.

Step 1: Determine Your Eligibility

Before diving into the application process, it’s crucial to determine if you are eligible for a U.S. Marriage Green Card. Generally, you must meet the following criteria:

You must be legally married to a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

Your marriage must be recognized as valid under U.S. law.

You must not have any criminal convictions or immigration violations that could make you ineligible.

Step 2: File Form I-130

The first formal step in obtaining a U.S. Marriage Green Card is filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This form establishes the qualifying relationship between you and your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse. Along with this form, you must provide supporting documentation, such as marriage certificates, proof of the petitioner’s U.S. citizenship or permanent residency, and any other required documents.

Step 3: Wait for USCIS Processing

Once Form I-130 is filed, it is processed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The processing time can vary, but you can check the USCIS website for estimated processing times based on your specific circumstances. During this period, USCIS may request additional information or documentation.

Step 4: Apply for an Immigrant Visa

If your Form I-130 is approved, you will receive notice of its approval, and your case will be forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). At this point, you will need to file Form DS-260, the Immigrant Visa Application. This application is essential for both family-sponsored and employment-based immigrants.

Step 5: Attend a Medical Examination and Visa Interview

After submitting the DS-260 form, you will need to schedule and attend a medical examination with an approved physician. Following the medical exam, you will be required to attend a visa interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country. Be prepared to provide documentation, including your marriage certificate, medical exam results, and a valid passport.

Step 6: Receive a Visa and Pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee

If your visa interview goes well and your application is approved, you will be issued an immigrant visa in your passport. Additionally, you will be required to pay the USCIS Immigrant Fee before traveling to the United States. This fee covers the cost of processing your green card.

Step 7: Enter the United States

Once you have your immigrant visa and have paid the USCIS Immigrant Fee, you can travel to the United States. Upon arrival, you will be inspected by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP). If everything is in order, you will be admitted into the country as a U.S. permanent resident.

Step 8: Receive Your Green Card

After your arrival in the United States, USCIS will mail your U.S. Marriage Green Card to your U.S. address. This card serves as proof of your lawful permanent residency status.


Obtaining a U.S. Marriage Green Card is a significant milestone that allows you to live and work in the United States with your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse. While the process may seem daunting, careful preparation and attention to detail can greatly improve your chances of success. Be sure to stay informed about any changes in immigration laws and procedures, and consider seeking legal counsel if you encounter any complexities along the way. With patience and determination, you can achieve your dream of building a life together in the United States, where love knows no borders.